Sunday, January 09, 2005

Winter Driving

Ah the joy of driving big rig in Winter time. Friday night I departed Boise at 22:00 headed to Spokane via US 95. This is not my standard routing I take, but I-84 was closed at Ladd Canyon, so often the case in Winter.
Things looked so nice, until the roads became snow covered and too warm for good traction. I put some chains on but even they weren't enough for one steep grade. I added more and finally got back underway. I ran iron for nearly 100 miles through what looked like a National Geographic special. Loads of snow in the western part of Idaho. Very pretty but I couldn't enjoy it as I focused on safety in unfamiliar territory. It is odd that the temperatures are so warm. Snow can be more easily driven on when it's cold, but Friday it was just above freezing! That made it all more slippery. I eventually arrived at our yard in Spokane, a mere 12 hours after departing Boise. It is usually an 8 hour run. Slow and safe was my game plan.
At least I could listen to some nice music via my iPod. What a great gadget, allowing me so much to choose from. Let me see what I was listening to; Traffic, I finished a book, One God, Three Faiths, obtained from www.audible.com, some Small Faces, Spirit and Strawbs. Nothing from this century, except the book possibly.
More later, and yes, history has shown my tendancy to feel like a taco, quite often actually. After the northbound run, homebound turned out to be very nice. I didn't need to chain up, except in the yard in Spokane, due to 6" of fresh snow there. I was really exhausted arriving home early Sunday morning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home