Monday, August 15, 2005

Off to Tampa, FL

Well, in just a few hours Robin & I will depart Boise to Tampa via Phoenix. Too much air time for my taste. I can feel the aches already, and I'm still home!
Here is the schedule of events as I understand them;
Tues 8/16 arrive and get checked into the hotel and find the FedEx team.
Wed 8/17 up for breakfast at 6:30 (that is MY bed time!!), then some registration and at 10:30 we walk to the convention center. I hope nobody watches, 'cause I have to wear slacks and a shirt with a tie. Incredible. Who do they think I'll be fooling? At lunch time, there will be contestant briefings and the written exam portion is at 13:30 and we get an hour to fill in the bubbles. If only it were an essay test... After that some explanation of the course and a walk through. Somewhere we select the equipment we'll drive. This has me a bit confused. I'd like a Ferrarri please.
Then dinner in Ybor City
Thur 8/18 another early awakening for breakfast. I think this should all be held in the middle of the night, when I usually am awake. By 8:15 the drivers are sequestered into bull pens by entry class. Depending on the class, we might do our pre-trip, interview or drive the field course. I've lost track of what day I do what. Someone else knows all those details. In the evening we board the Yacht Star Ship for a 2 hour cruise. Oh great, sounds like Gilligan's little trip.
Fri 8/19 Yet another rude early wake up. This has just got to be changed. Breakfast at bedtime indeed. Oh, I didn't read correctly the first time - it's worse, breakfast must be even EARLIER as we have to be at the Convention Center by 6:45!!! Drat. Same kind of thing for the day, just depends on your driving class.
Dinner at Busch Gardens.
Sat 8/20 Incredible, depart the hotel at 6:30 AGAIN. They are showing me no mercy with this schedule. At 9:30 The National Truck Driving Championship Finals with awards being handed out at lunch time. Free for the afternoon but the big banquet is at 17:30, fancy dress too!
Sunday it's fly home and collapse.
More to follow... how was that Al?
I think this link will get you to the ATA site for the NTDC http://www.truckline.com/aboutata/councils/slpmc/ntdc/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home